Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Miss My's Sumptuous Strawberry-Apple Pie






Three and a half weeks ago I started an entrepreneurship course for people who want to start a business in Finland. The course has been tough as it is taught solely in Finnish but my fellow students have made the course bearable. Actually, they have made it a lot of fun and the course seems more like meeting friends whilst at the same time learning important things regarding setting up a business.

The highlights of our school days are the coffee breaks and lunch time. We have discovered many restaurants in the area which serve a proper lunch buffet. Some of my fellow students have enjoyed the buffets so much that they felt sick afterwards. As I am grateful for having so many 'school' friends I decided to treat them to some home baked cake. I made a strawberry-apple cake. It isn't the most common combination but it really works. One school friend even asked whether I could bake one for him and he actually offered to pay me for it! Doing business during an entrepreneurship course, it doesn't get any better than that.

I kind of created the recipe myself so you might have to fine-tune it yourself but here is approximately what I used.

Ingredients:

200 grams of softened butter
1,5 dl of sugar
0,5 dl of vanilla sugar
1 free range egg
about 5 dl of flour
1,5 teaspoons of baking powder

Filling:

approximately 7 small apples
250 grams of strawberries
25 grams of butter
2 teaspoons of vanilla sugar

Preparation:

Mix the softened butter with the sugar. I use my hands (of course after thoroughly cleansing them) but you can use a wooden spoon or spatula if you like. Add the egg and mix. In a separate bowl mix the flour and baking powder. Add the flour mix to the butter/sugar/egg mixture. Whilst mixing test the texture to see if it is not too dry. The texture should be nice and sticky.

Peel the apples and cut them into parts. Melt the butter in a pan. Fry the apple parts until they have become a bit mushy. Add the vanilla sugar and take the pan off the stove.

Put the dough in a baking form (diameter of 24cm or 26cm depending on how thick you like your dough) and make sure the form is well covered. Then put the apple mixture onto the dough. Top the apple mixture with slices of strawberry.

That's it! Enjoy. Isabella and my fellow students sure did!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate